Tottenham bowed out from White Hart Lane with a 2-1 victory over Manchester United in the Premier League on Sunday.
Playing in their final game at their home for 118 years, Spurs gave their fans the perfect send-off courtesy of goals from Victor Wanyama and Harry Kane.
Wayne Rooney pulled one back for the visitors, but Mauricio Pochettino’s side saw the game out to make certain of second place and leave a Europa League victory as United’s only chance to join the Lilywhites in the Champions League next season.
After the final whistle, the home supporters flooded onto the pitch to get one final memory before the club leaves for Wembley and then the new stadium, next door to White Hart Lane, for the 2018-19 season.
It was clear Spurs were not about to let United ruin their party after just six minutes when Wanyama leaped highest to head in Ben Davies’ cross.
— Ansen (@Tobyansen13) May 14, 2017
Kane then made it 2-0 three minutes into the second half with a wonderful, improvised finish from Christian Eriksen’s free-kick, and though Rooney set up a slightly nervy finale when he poked in 19 minutes from time, this was Spurs’ day.
Harry Kane på perfekt oplæg fra Christian Eriksen!!
— NordicBet Danmark (@DK_NordicBet) May 14, 2017
White Hart Lane has rarely looked better than today, with fans all around the stadium waving flags above their heads from well before kick-off.
The scenes after the game were just as impressive, with thousands of fans on the pitch to send off their heroes and say goodbye to their beloved home.
– This was Tottenham’s 14th consecutive home win in the league, equalling their club record set in 1987.
– They have gone unbeaten at home for the first time in a league season since 1964-65 (W17 D2 L0 this season).
– Mauricio Pochettino is the first ever Spurs manager to oversee consecutive home wins over Manchester United in the Premier League.
– Harry Kane has now scored against 24 of the 25 opponents he has faced in the Premier League, Cardiff being the exception.
– Christian Eriksen equalled his Premier League assist tally from last season (13) when he set up Kane. Only Darren Anderton (14) has made more assists in a single season for Spurs.
– Eriksen has set up nine goals for Kane in the Premier League since the start of last season. No other player has provided more for a team-mate in this period.
Check this one out.
It’s not been a bad start for Salah…
What a performance by Mesut Ozil for Arsenal.
We’re expecting 100%.
Dennis Wise has a tough act to follow.
Is it OK to have a second team?
This is a must-read for every Liverpool fan.
Which front three will come out on top?
Frank Lampard has a hell of a point here…
A tribute to a Manchester United legend.