With Joel Matip currently recovering from a nasty ACL injury, Jarell Quansah has taken his opportunity to step up to the senior squad with some impressive performances in 2023-24.
Jurgen Klopp hasn’t shied away from giving youngsters opportunities when the time is right and Quansah has managed to surpass all expectations so far.
The 20-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan with League One outfit Bristol Rovers and he’s managed to go from strength to strength since then.
Klopp handed the defender his Liverpool debut earlier in the season against Newcastle and he’s not looked back since. In total, Quansah has made 14 senior appearances this season with six of those games coming in the Premier League.
Liverpool clearly have a very exciting prospect on their hands and Klopp was quick to praise the youngster following the solid shift he put in against Burnley.
“Yeah, top, really good. We have so many games and Jarell is a fixed part of this first line-up – in, out, in, out, with the amount of games we play,” Klopp told reporters.
“There is not a line-up, there are line-ups and as long as they are all fit then one will start and the other will not, all these kinds of things.
“He did really well. A good footballer, which is really helpful. I think it helps him a lot to play next to Virg. He can play with Ibou as well but Virg is still the step up in leadership, I would say, and that helps for sure. It was a good performance, I liked it a lot.”
It’s easy to get carried away with the hype, but Quansah looks like the real deal for Liverpool right now. We’ve gone ahead and gathered seven stats which showcase his superb form in 2023-24.
– Liverpool have conceded an average of 0.78 goals when Quansah has featured this season. Considering their season average is 0.92 goals against per game, this highlights the excellent form of Quansah.
– The 20-year-old is clearly very comfortable on the ball as he has completed the most passes of anyone on the pitch in seven of his last eight starts. Against Burnley, he completed an impressive 98 passes and boasted an 87 per cent pass accuracy.
– Liverpool have an impressive win percentage of 85.7 per cent in the games that Quansah has featured in. They have also won all six of the league games he has played.
This crucial intervention from Jarell Quansah ⛔ pic.twitter.com/y5Sx8trohK
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) December 27, 2023
– The defender has played 263 minutes of Premier League football which is the most of any player who has won on each of their appearances.
– Of the six Premier League games Quansah has featured in this season, Liverpool have kept three clean sheets. Impressively, the Reds have only conceded one league goal when Quansah has been on the pitch.
– In the Premier League, Quansah has only been dribbled past once so far. Only Virgil van Dijk boasts a better record than this in the Liverpool squad as he is yet to be dribbled past.
– The defender already has three goal contributions this season with a goal and two assists. Across all competitions, he is currently averaging a goal involvement every 305 minutes.