Liverpool currently sit top of the Premier League and given their recent run of form, they just might be the best side in Europe right now.
Jurgen Klopp’s side didn’t look like themselves last season, but fast forward a few months and they’ve suddenly rediscovered the spark that once made them so formidable.
They now boast a five-point lead at the top of the Premier League and are quickly convincing the doubters that they are indeed the real deal.
Their latest 4-0 triumph against Bournemouth was especially impressive given that they were without the likes of Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold.
“In the moment we find rhythm, we are strong, I have to say that looks then really, really good,” Klopp told the Liverpool website after their victory against Bournemouth.
“But without rhythm probably nobody is strong. We should start games better but it’s anyway about 98 minutes… it’s about winning the games in the end.
“As long as we stay in the game pretty much everything what happens in the game is allowed. We don’t have to perform for 98 minutes [at an] absolutely top level. It’s pretty rare. Today step by step we found a way in the game and won it.”
The Reds have often managed to find a way to win matches this season and the underlying stats certainly make for good reading if you’re a Liverpool fan.
We’ve taken a closer look at Liverpool’s exceptional form so far and have identified nine unbelievable stats which show they are currently one of the best sides in Europe.
– Liverpool have managed to win a whopping 19 points from losing positions during 2023-24. In Europe, only Girona have managed more than this (22).
– The Reds are currently averaging 2.28 points per game and are projected to finish the season with 87 points. That would be their fourth-best points tally under Klopp.
– Liverpool have managed to accumulate an xG of 45.7 in the Premier League. Only Bayern Munich and Barcelona have managed more than that tally in Europe’s top five leagues.
Diogo Jota, with CONVICTION! 👏 pic.twitter.com/6NXgIFbUnM
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) January 21, 2024
– Klopp’s side have taken a total of 388 shots in the league, which is more than any other side in Europe’s top five leagues. Bayern Munich are second in this ranking with 343 shots.
– Liverpool have won 61 tackles in the attacking third, which is a record only bettered by Tottenham and PSG.
– The Reds have been brilliant at recovering the ball this season. In total, they have managed 1,172 ball recoveries which has only been bettered by Athletic Bilbao in Europe’s top leagues.
– Liverpool are yet to lose a Premier League match this season when they have taken the lead. Impressively, they have only failed to win two matches where they have taken the lead.
– Klopp’s side love to leave things late. The Reds have managed to score seven goals in stoppage time which is the most in Europe along with Arsenal.
– The Reds are unbeaten in their last 14 league matches. Only Juventus (16 matches) and Bayer Leverkusen (18 matches) are currently on a longer unbeaten streak.