Jurgen Klopp has announced his decision to leave Liverpool at the end of the season and Xabi Alonso is among the names who could replace the German boss.
Of course, stepping into the shoes of Klopp is almost an impossible task. The 56-year-old is adored in Liverpool and the bond he has built up with the supporters is irrepressible.
However, Liverpool will be forced to seek out his replacement and the thought of Alonso in the Premier League is extremely exciting.
The Spanish coach already has a relationship with the Liverpool faithful from his playing days and he’s been doing a tremendously good job in Germany of late.
Alonso is currently top of the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen and his side have been plenty of fun to watch of late.
Bayern Munich have managed to win 11 consecutive Bundesliga titles, but Alonso’s side look like upsetting the odds this time around. There’s still a long way to go, but Bayer Leverkusen do boast a four-point lead as things stand.
Along with being linked with the Liverpool job, Alonso also seems to have his admirers at Bayern Munich and Real Madrid too.
With Klopp ready to step aside at Anfield at the end of the season, the stars might have aligned for the Spanish coach to make the move in the summer.
When asked about the speculation linking him to the Liverpool job, Alonso told reporters: “Speculation is normal, my focus is here on Bayer Leverkusen.
“I am very happy at Leverkusen with my players at the moment. Big surprise in Liverpool, of course — for what Jurgen did in Liverpool I have great respect and admiration.”
We’ve gone ahead and taken a closer look at Alonso’s managerial career so far and have picked out seven stats which prove he is the natural heir to Klopp at Liverpool.
– Alonso has a win percentage of 64.06 per cent at Bayer Leverkusen. For context, Klopp managed a win percentage of 56.4 per cent during his time with Borussia Dortmund.
– Since being appointed as the Bayer Leverkusen boss in October 2022, Alonso has managed to accumulate 93 points from a possible 132.
– Bayer Leverkusen are the only side in Europe’s top five leagues who are yet to lose a match this season. Impressively, they boast an unbeaten record in the Bundesliga, Europa League and DFB-Pokal.
— Bayer 04 Leverkusen (@bayer04_en) January 8, 2024
– As things stand, Bayer Leverkusen are projected to finish the season with 96 points based on their current points per game. This tally would be a new Bundesliga record.
– Alonso’s side take an average of 16.94 shots per 90. Across Europe’s top five leagues, only Liverpool and Bayern Munich have managed more than that tally this season.
– Bayer Leverkusen have scored 2.67 goals per 90 in the Bundesliga this season. Only Bayern Munich have a superior record to this in Europe’s top five leagues.
– Alonso’s side have created a 1.97 non-penalty xG per 90 in the Bundesliga. For context, Liverpool have created a 1.94 non-penalty xG per 90.