After enduring a fairly slow start to life at Manchester United, Rasmus Hojlund has proven his worth in recent weeks with a series of tremendous performances.
It didn’t take the Danish forward long to make an impact in the Champions League as the 21-year-old managed to bag five goals during the group stages.
However, his Premier League campaign has been a little bit more of a slow burner. After failing to score in his first 14 league matches, the pressure had started to pile upon the youngster’s shoulders.
Many experienced pros have wilted at the pressure of being United’s main talisman over the years, but Hojlund has managed to rise to the occasion of late.
Even Roy Keane has been impressed with the improvements that the young forward has demonstrated over these last few weeks.
“What every striker needs is a few goals to get that confidence, that belief, and he has got that over the last four or five games,” Keane told Sky Sports.
“He looks a different player. He looks strong, aggressive, he’s taking his chances, he’s got the desire to score a goal and if you look at him, he is a big, strong boy.
“I think it was tough when he first came to the club. If you think about it, he arrived on the back of an injury and he came into a United team not playing with any great belief and they weren’t creating that many chances for him.
“But he has turned that around in the last few weeks through hard work and a bit of desire. His confidence [has improved]; when you put the ball in the back of the net, it just lifts it. If United want to get in the top four or five, then he has to continue scoring goals.”
We have gathered seven dazzling stats which highlight just how good the Red Devils forward has been of late.
– Hojlund has eight goal contributions in his last seven matches for United. That’s more than he managed in his previous 22 games for the club.
– In his last five Premier League matches he has managed to score five goals from an xG of just 2.23.
– Following his latest goal against Aston Villa, Hojlund became the second youngest player to score in five consecutive Premier League games. Nicolas Anelka is the only player younger than Hojlund to have achieved this.
Rasmus Højlund scores AGAIN! 🔴🔥 pic.twitter.com/MuTSw13zJv
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) February 11, 2024
– Since scoring his first Premier League goal in December, Hojlund has averaged a league goal every 88.6 minutes. If he maintains that ratio for the remainder of the campaign, he will end his debut season with 19 goals.
– The 21-year-old has scored five goals from the last six shots on target he has had in the Premier League.
– Across all competitions, he’s now scored 11 goals. That’s more goals than Gabriel Jesus, Nicolas Jackson, Callum Wilson and Cody Gakpo have managed.
– Without Hojlund’s five league goals, United would be seven points worse off in the league and would currently be ninth in the table.