10 remarkable stats and records behind Everton’s first win at Anfield since 1999
It’s something of an understatement to say that Everton fans have had little to cheer when it comes to matches against Liverpool in recent years, but finally they got a long-awaited 2-0 win at Anfield.
Following Richarlison’s early opener and Gylfi Sigurdsson’s late penalty, Carlo Ancelotti’s Toffees moved level on points with the reigning Premier League champions, and they also boast a game in hand.
It’s safe to say that it was a genuinely historic result, given the context of how Merseyside derbies have tended to go since the turn of the century. Here are 10 of the best stats and records following the result.
– Everton’s last victory at Anfield was a 1-0 win back in September 1999. Ben Godfrey and Tom Davies, who started in their 2021 victory, were both one-year-olds at the time. Everton had made 23 visits away to their Merseyside rivals since then without a win (13 defeats, 10 draws).
– It was also their first win over Liverpool at all since October 2010 – with 23 unbeaten Merseyside derbies over the past decade for Liverpool. It ended what was their longest unbeaten run against a single opponent.
Years when Everton were/are the top scoring Liverpool-based club at Anfield
— Duncan Alexander (@oilysailor) February 20, 2021
– Everton have won eight of 12 away matches in the Premier League this season. They need to win just two of their last seven away matches to set a new Premier League club record for away wins in a single season.
– Liverpool’s Premier League record at Anfield since the start of the 2017/18 season: WWDDWWDDDWWWDWWWWDW
4 – Liverpool have lost four consecutive home league games for the first time since December 1923, while they are also the first reigning top-flight champion to lose four consecutive home league games since Everton in the 1928-29 season. Nightmare. pic.twitter.com/sJGOMfeP2R
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) February 20, 2021
– Liverpool have lost more Premier League matches at home in the first two months of 2021 than in the last five years combined.
– In the time since Everton’s last prior win at Anfield, Blackpool climbed up from the fourth tier, registered a Premier League win at Anfield, and have since dropped to back down to League Two.
Ilkay Gundogan is the top scorer in 2021 at Anfield, the Etihad Stadium and the Hawthorns.
— Richard Jolly (@RichJolly) February 20, 2021
– Liverpool have already dropped 35 points this season. They dropped just 32 points in the 2018/19 and 2019/20 campaigns combined.