11 records and key stats after Leicester scored 9 (nine) against Southampton
We’re still waiting for a side to hit double figures in a Premier League match, but Brendan Rodgers’ Foxes came close as they ran rampant at St. Mary’s, exploiting Ryan Bertrand’s early red card.
They went into the break five goals to the good, with Ben Chilwell, Youri Tielemans and James Maddison on the scoresheet alongside hat-tricks from Ayoze Perez – off the mark in style for his new club – and Jamie Vardy. Here are some of the records they achieved and some notable facts from the game.
- The 9-0 was the biggest margin for an away victory in the top-flight in the entire 131-year history of the Football League
- Equalled Man City’s record for the highest-winning margin away from home – 5-0 against Burnley in 2010.
- Inflicted Southampton’s worst-ever defeat in any competition
- Equalled Manchester United’s record Premier League win, over Ipswich in 1995. They’re the only two sides to have registered 9-0 wins, and to have won by a nine-goal margin.
— Ipswich Town FC (@IpswichTown) October 25, 2019
- Become only the second Premier League side to have two team-mates score a hat-trick in the same game. The only previous pair to do so were Jermaine Pennant and Robert Pires, also against Southampton, the first match of the Gunners famous 49-game unbeaten league run in May 2003.
- Saw three perfect 10/10s awarded from WhoScored.com – Chilwell alongside Vardy and Perez
- Father and son Kasper and Peter Schmeichel are the only two goalkeepers to have recorded 9-0 victories in the Premier League.
- Like father, like Gunn. At the other end, Southampton keeper Angus Gunn’s beat his dad Bryan’s record defeat – a 7-1 against Blackburn back in 1992.
FORGOTTEN GOAL: 27 years ago today Blackburn thumped Norwich 7-1 and @alanshearer did this to Bryan Gunn.
That chip is as deft as you like.pic.twitter.com/PaRScGAp7q
— Proper Football (@sid_lambert) October 3, 2019
- Jamie Vardy inches ahead of Tammy Abraham and Sergio Aguero in the top scorer charts with nine overall. He’s in his best goalscoring form since the 24 scored in the Foxes 2016 title win.
- Scored more away goals in one Premier League match than Derby County managed in the entirety of their disastrous 2007-08 season.
- Perez (six goals) is the joint top scorer in Southampton games since the start of February. The Spaniard has played in two Southampton games in that period. Southampton have played 26 (via @RichJolly)