13 stats behind Robert Lewandowski’s batsh*t mental 2019-20 campaign
Robert Lewandowski has been in ridiculous form for Bayern Munich in 2019-20.
Lewandowski remains one of the deadliest strikers in Europe and has helped Bayern to the Bundesliga and German Cup victories, plus now the Champions League final.
And we’ve rounded up 11 remarkable stats from the 31-year-old’s quite frankly batsh*t mental season.
– At the time of writing, Lewandowski has scored 55 goals in 46 appearances for Bayern this season with the Champions League final still to play, equalling Gerd Muller’s record for the most goals in a single season for the Bavarians.
– He has scored a goal every 73.5 minutes for Bayern this season.
– Lewandowski finished as the top goalscorer in the Bundesliga, six ahead of Timo Werner, and also the top goalscorer in the German Cup.
– He is the top scorer in the Champions League, five ahead of Erling Haaland and six ahead of Bayern team-mate Serge Gnabry, with only the final left to play.
– He has scored in all nine of his Champions League appearances going into the final.
– The Poland international would need to score two against PSG to equal Cristiano Ronaldo’s record for the most goals in a single Champions League season, despite the one-legged knockout ties.
– He has scored more Champions League goals than 23 teams to qualify for the competition this season, including Chelsea, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Juventus and Borussia Dortmund.
– The only competition Lewandowski doesn’t average a rate greater than a goal a game this season is the German Supercup, having failed to score in Bayern’s 2-0 defeat to Borussia Dortmund in August.
– That is one of only eight times this season Lewandowski has played but not scored. He found the net at least once in the other 38.
– Between August 12 to October 26, Lewandowski scored in 13 consecutive games, totalling 20 goals in that period.
– He reached the 30-goal mark for the season on December 14.
– Lewandowski has now scored 40+ goals in all competitions for five consecutive seasons.
– He has scored as many Bundesliga goals as Fortuna Dusseldorf.
– His best previous season was 43 goals in 47 games for Bayern in 2016-17. He has scored 12 more goals this season from one fewer game, with the Champions League final still to play.