Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mane have attracted most of the plaudits for Liverpool in recent months – but Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold once highlighted their importance in the crucial win over Tottenham.
Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are two of Liverpool’s most consistent performers, contributing impressively in both defence and attack.
We’ve taken a closer look at some stats which underline just how valuable the full-backs are to Jurgen Klopp’s outfit.
– Robertson has now contributed nine assists in the Premier League to date this season, setting a record for the most in a single Premier League campaign by a Liverpool defender and the most of any player in the squad.
– Only Eden Hazard (11), Ryan Fraser (10) and Christian Eriksen (10) have registered more assists in the Premier League than Robertson this season.
– Only twice have defenders provided more assists in a single Premier League season: Andy Hinchliffe (1994-95) and Leighton Baines (2010-11), who both registered 11.
– Robertson has registered six assists in 12 Premier League games this calendar year. No player in the competition has created as many goals in 2019.
💪 "We wanted it more than them"
Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold react to Liverpool's late win over Spurs.
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) March 31, 2019
– Alexander-Arnold himself has provided six assists, behind only Robertson’s nine and Mo Salah’s seven in the Liverpool squad.
– As noted by The Independent’s Simon Hughes, no pair of full-backs in Premier League history have created as many goals as Robertson and Alexander-Arnold this season.
– Both players are among Liverpool’s top five chance creators in the Premier League this season. Robertson sits in third with 42, while Alexander-Arnold is in fifth with 34.
– In the 5-0 victory over Watford in February, Alexander-Arnold became the youngest player to record three assists in a single Premier League game.
“By the end Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold had taken 88 and 92 touches respectively, far more than anyone else on the pitch.” https://t.co/7HuRIxwpzH
— Joe Chapman (@jreidchapman) March 31, 2019
– Only four players in the entire Premier League have produced more successful crosses than Alexander-Arnold’s 25 this campaign.
– Despite offering such a threat going forward, the two full-backs have also made more tackles than any other Liverpool players in the Premier League this season. Robertson leads the way with 72, followed by Alexander-Arnold on 49.
– While Virgil van Dijk (37) leads the way in terms of interceptions, Alexander-Arnold (28) and Robertson (26) sit second and third among Liverpool’s squad this season.