While the January transfer window is still three months away, plenty of big names from around Europe are already eyeing up a move ahead of time.
Footballers can push for the exit door for a number of reasons. Whether they’ve fallen out with a manager, dropped down the pecking order or just fancy a change of scenery.
We’ve compiled a star-studded XI of big names from around Europe who have already been tipped for a move in the January transfer window.
GK: Aaron Ramsdale
The Arsenal shot-stopper finds himself in a tricky situation as new arrival David Raya has taken his starting spot in the Premier League. Mikel Arteta wants the two goalkeepers to battle for the number one spot, but with Euro 2024 right around the corner, Ramsdale can’t afford to spend much time on the bench.
“I think he will be [leaving in January], if he got an opportunity at a decent club and Arsenal were happy with that,” Jamie Carragher told Sky Sports. “I think Arsenal will be looking at it and thinking they could get a few quid for him.
“You never have two goalkeepers at the same level at a club, especially top keepers. Normally when that happens, it is because they are both not good enough and you can’t decide who you should be picking.”
A BIG save from Aaron Ramsdale last night 🤲
— ITV Football (@itvfootball) September 28, 2023
RB: Lucas Vazquez
According to reports in Spain, Juventus are weighing up a move for the Real Madrid full-back next year. Vazquez has only featured sparingly under Carlo Ancelotti of late and his deal in Spain is up at the end of the season.
CB: Eric Dier
With his contract set to expire at the end of the season, a move in the near future seems inevitable for Dier. The England international is yet to feature under Ange Postecoglou and could do with a move to kick-start his career elsewhere.
Italian outlet Calciomercato have claimed the 29-year-old is a target for Roma. Jose Mourinho will know Dier well from his time at Tottenham and time will tell if they do push for a move.
CB: Lloyd Kelly
The Bournemouth defender is another player out of contract in 2024 and has also been linked with a January exit. According to Football Insider, Bournemouth could be willing to accept a ‘cut-price offer’ for the defender in January as links to Tottenham have emerged.
When asked about Tottenham’s interest in Kelly, Andoni Iraola told reporters: “There are different interests here in all the deals, but we cannot rush it. For me, Lloyd right now, is my player. I appreciate it I think he’s a very good player and I hope he continues with us.”
LB: Marc Cucurella
After his move to Manchester United collapsed, the Spanish full-back is likely to be on the hunt for a new club come January. He’s struggled to make much of an impression at Stamford Bridge so far and currently finds himself down the pecking order under Mauricio Pochettino.
According to The Sun, the defender was ‘gutted’ when his move to Old Trafford didn’t materialise. The latest reports have even claimed that Real Madrid are weighing up a move for the wantaway defender in January.
RM: Mohamed Salah
Liverpool knocked back a gigantic bid of £150million from Al-Ittihad in the summer and the Saudi outfit have been tipped to come in with an improved offer in 2024.
The Mirror have reported that Al-Ittihad are ‘refusing’ to give up on Salah and they will try their luck once again in January. With the Saudi side prepared to make the Egyptian forward one of the highest-paid players in the world, he could be tempted by the move.
CM: Adrien Rabiot
It wouldn’t be a proper transfer window without Rabiot being linked with a move to the Premier League. The Juventus midfielder penned a one-year extension with the club in the summer, but his long-term future is up for debate once again.
As his contract in Italy will expire in 2024, several Premier League clubs are exploring the possibility of signing the 28-year-old in January. According to The Express, Man Utd will make another push to sign him in the winter.
Top 🔟 gol 2022/23 ⚪️⚫️
10° Adrien Rabiot 🆚 Inter pic.twitter.com/tZ0SUeZs9n
— JuventusFC (@juventusfc) June 13, 2023
CM: Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
To many people’s surprise, Hojbjerg ended up sticking around in north London this summer. The Tottenham midfielder had been heavily linked with a move to Atletico Madrid and was also a target for Man Utd towards the end of the window.
All five of his Premier League appearances under Postecoglou have come from the bench and Fabrizio Romano has confirmed the 28-year-old is seeking an exit in January.
“The January transfer window could be interesting for Hojbjerg because he wants to try a new chapter in 2024,” Romano explained on his YouTube channel. “It could be January, it could be summer but for sure, Hojbjerg is looking for a new opportunity.”
LM: Jadon Sancho
This one seems inevitable. With Sancho seemingly refusing to apologise to Erik ten Hag, the United boss might be left with little choice come the January window.
Al-Ettifaq tried to lure Sancho away in the summer, but this move didn’t come off in the end. Fabrizio Romano has insisted that there is still a way back for Sancho, but there could be a long road ahead.
“There’s a way back for Jadon Sancho if he says sorry and apologises to the coaching staff,” Romano told Caught Offside. “Of course, it’s also about discussing problems together – but this is not the case yet.”
ST: Victor Osimhen
Elite clubs from around the globe will be queuing up in January to snatch up Osimhen. The prolific forward could take legal action against Napoli for a TikTok video posted on their club account and all of the big guns are already circling.
Chelsea and Real Madrid have both been linked with the forward of late and he also has his admirers in Saudi Arabia. After scoring 31 goals in all competitions last season, you can see why so many clubs are interested.
⚽️💫 Victor Osimhen doing what he does best, scoring goals for fun! 🇳🇬 pic.twitter.com/rAXm1nboeh
— EuroFoot (@eurofootcom) September 28, 2023
ST: Ivan Toney
Despite facing a spell on the sidelines for breaching gambling rules, Toney is in serious demand right now. His ban is set to be lifted in January and several top Premier League sides are already eyeing up the Brentford striker.
Both Arsenal and Chelsea have been linked with the 27-year-old of late, with the Daily Mirror reporting that the Gunners are currently pushing hardest for his signature in January.