It’s not taken long for Dominik Szoboszlai to adapt to his new surroundings at Liverpool and we’ve picked out seven impressive stats behind his amazing start at Anfield.
Liverpool signed the midfielder this summer from RB Leipzig after triggering his release clause of around £60million. The 22-year-old penned a five-year deal at Anfield and has already impressed at his new club.
His latest moment of magic came against Leicester City in the EFL Cup as he pinged in a beauty into the top corner from outside the box. It’s fair to say that Jurgen Klopp was impressed with his performance.
“I don’t have to tell him to shoot, he knows better than me that he has a pretty good skill,” Klopp told reporters after the game.
“The next one, which was slightly over, was another grenade. You can see that. In Premier League games, everyone tries to block him, that’s why he hasn’t come through yet.
“But if he comes through, it’s a good chance the ball could be in. But super goal. The situation, Wataru passed the ball through and in that moment, there is no midfielder, there is no defender who can then hold him.
“That’s why it’s so important that after winning the ball to try to play the first pass forward, or at least have a forward-orientated idea. That helped there a lot.”
Of course, Szoboszlai is still in his early days with Liverpool, but the early signs have been hugely promising. We’ve picked out seven impressive stats behind his amazing start in the Premier League.
– The Liverpool midfielder has already scored two goals from outside the box. In his eight matches for the Reds, he has accumulated an xG of just 0.59, giving him an xG overperformance of 1.41 goals.
– His latest wonder strike against Leicester was scored from an xG of just 0.09. Pick that one out.
WHAT. A. HIT. 😮💨 pic.twitter.com/Onk0o9IVRo
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) September 27, 2023
– Szoboszlai has created 12 chances for his teammates in the Premier League so far. Only Mohamed Salah and Andy Robertson have created more than this at Liverpool since his arrival.
– Perhaps even more impressively is that the midfielder has produced more shot-creating actions (30) than any other Liverpool player. Only Bukayo Saka, Rodri and James Maddision rank above Szoboszlai in this statistic in the whole of the Premier League.
– The 22-year-old completes an average of 5.17 successful passes into the final third per 90. Only Roberton averages more than this in the Liverpool squad.
– Liverpool’s new-look midfield of Szoboszlai, Alexis Mac Allister, Ryan Gravenberch & Wataru Endo have six goal contributions between them in September. That’s as many as Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Fabinho, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita managed for the whole of last season.
– Szoboszlai also provides value off the ball. The midfielder wins an average of 1.5 tackles per 90, which is more than the likes of Henderson and Milner were averaging last season.