Chelsea crowned a magnificent season on Friday night by clinching the Premier League title – and they are now on course for a record-breaking campaign.
Michy Batshuayi’s late goal fired Chelsea to victory at West Brom and ended Tottenham’s hopes of catching the Blues at the top of the table.
The success, masterminded by Antonio Conte, marks the Londoners’ sixth league title and is just reward for their imperious form for the majority of the season.
Anyone who says Chelsea didn’t deserve to win this season… pic.twitter.com/hwr1XbNtoG
— 8 Fact Football (@8Fact_Footballl) May 13, 2017
– If Chelsea win their remaining two games of the season, they’ll set a new record for Premier League victories in a campaign (30).
– Only two sides have won 30+ league games in top-flight season (Spurs 31 in 1960/61 and Liverpool 30 in 1978/79) & Chelsea would be the first to do it in a 38-game season.
– Chelsea have won 42 points away from home in the Premier League this season (the most) and have the highest tally of away points by a side in a PL season since Manchester United won 42 in 2011-12.
– Chelsea have won their sixth top-flight league title and their fifth in the Premier League era. Only Manchester United (13) have won more Premier League titles.
– Antonio Conte has now won the league title in four successive seasons as a club coach after winning the Serie A title with Juventus in 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14.
– The Italian is also the fourth manager to lift the Premier League trophy in his first season in England (Mourinho 2004-05, Ancelotti 2009-10 and Pellegrini 2013-14).
– Chelsea have failed to score in only three league matches this season. On only three occasions in the Premier League has the title winner failed to score in less matches.
– Diego Costa is the third player to score 20+ goals in a Premier League season for Chelsea on two occasions (Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in 2000-01 & 2001-02 and Didier Drogba in 2006-07 & 2009-10).
– Cesc Fabregas has provided 10 or more assists in six different Premier League campaigns, more than any other player (Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney with five).
– Including up until the end of the season, Chelsea would’ve been top of the Premier League for 184 days, the fewest total days they’ve spent on top in a title-winning season in the PL.
– However, Chelsea haven’t spent a single night off top spot in the Premier League since December 11 (they briefly dropped to second on December 10).
Sometimes it’s okay to go back.
Strap yourselves in. This is a biggie.
Exactly a quarter of them play for Chelsea.
It’s time to stop listening to Three Lions now.
We’d love to see this game played in real life.
They already love his “powerful right leg”.
Leighton Baines speaks to The Mind Map.
Not a good day to be an ATV Irdning fan.
Can we do it all again?
Try getting this Southgate chant out of your head.