Kai Havertz opened his account for Chelsea in emphatic style on Wednesday night as his hat-trick helped the Blues crush Barnsley 6-0 at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea’s summer transfer splurge included a £62million deal for Havertz, who had established himself as one of the most sought-after young players in Europe thanks to his performances for Bayer Leverkusen over the previous four years.
The attacking midfielder was kept quiet on his Premier League debut at Brighton and was sacrificed at half-time in the defeat against Liverpool following Andreas Christensen’s red card.
But the 21-year-old got off the mark in fine style against Barnsley, scoring a superb hat-trick to earn a breather with 25 minutes still to play.
And we’ve rounded up five impressive stats that came to light after his man-of-the-match display.
– While Havertz caught the eye with the first hat-trick of his career, he also made more tackles than any other player on the pitch (five).
– His three goals came from four shots, all of which hit the target. No player had more efforts.
🎥 Kai Havertz’s hat-trick…
— LDN (@LDNFootbalI) September 23, 2020
– Only Mason Mount created more chances than Havertz, with Mount playing 25 minutes more than the Germany international.
– Across the 2020 calendar year, only Cristiano Ronaldo (31), Lionel Messi (32) and Robert Lewandowski (35) have provided more combined goals and assists than Havertz (26) among players in Europe’s top leagues in all competitions.
– Havertz is the second youngest player to score a competitive hat-trick for Chelsea this millennium, just 64 days older than Christian Pulisic when the winger struck three times against Burnley last season.