10 mindblowing stats that show Marcus Rashford is in Ballon d’Or territory
Marcus Rashford just keeps on scoring. The forward kept up his remarkable run of form with yet brilliant another goal in Manchester United’s 1-0 Europa League victory over Real Betis.
There’s a strong argument that Rashford is the best player in the world on current form, especially when you look at the mindblowing numbers behind his performances.
“He is definitely one of them,” Erik ten Hag replied when asked if Marcus was among the best forwards in Europe back in February.
“I was convinced [by him] from the first moment. I was really excited to work with him. I thought I could get more out of him.
“He has so many skills, such high potential, and I think that can be even more. When he works well, he will score even more goals because he can score with his right, his left, and with his head.”
Rashford has looked unstoppable during this run of late. The 25-year-old looked lost at times last season as United toiled to their lowest points tally of the Premier League era, but he looks like a player reborn following the mid-season departure of Cristiano Ronaldo.
“(His form) tells you something about the team’s performance. It tells you something about him,” Ten Hag said after the Betis win.
“If he keeps the focus, and makes sure he has the energy, the way, and the way he has to play in that system and style, he will get in scoring positions and then it’s about him, he has the ability to finish.”
Here are 10 stats that sum up quite how brilliant Rashford has been of late:
– Rashford has scored 19 goals in 24 appearances in all competitions since the World Cup.
– That’s the most of any player in Europe’s major leagues since the World Cup. Manchester City striker Erling Haaland, who scored five in midweek, is four goals behind Rashford with 15 goals.
– To put it in context, Chelsea have only scored 12 goals in total over the same period. Graham Potter’s Blues have scored eight league goals in 2023 – the same number as Rashford has alone.
– PSG’s front three of Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe and Neymar have only scored two more goals between them than Rashford since the World Cup. And six of their 21 goals came against amateur side US Pays de Cassel (five for Mbappe, one for Neymar) in the French Cup.
What. A. Hit!! 🤩
Marcus Rashford is in some serious form this season!! 🙌#UEL pic.twitter.com/5b4hEZ76id
— Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) March 16, 2023
– He also has four assists over the same period.
– Rashford averages a goal every 89 minutes and a goal or assist every 73 minutes since the World Cup.
– This is already Rashford’s best-ever goalscoring season (27 goals in all competitions) for Manchester United and there’s still plenty of games to come.
– He’s scored over five times as many goals as he managed in the entirety of the 2021-22 campaign (five).
– United’s No.10 has only failed to score or assist in just six of his 24 appearances since the World Cup.
– The 25-year-old has scored in eight of his last 11 Premier League appearances at Old Trafford. He scored in seven successive Premier League home matches. Only Wayne Rooney (eight games – December 2009 to March 2010) and Cristiano Ronaldo (10 games – March to November 2008) have gone on longer goalscoring runs in the Premier League at Old Trafford.
– Rashford tops the charts for the top scorers in the Europa League this season with six goals in eight appearances in the competition. He has now scored 25 goals in European competition for the Red Devils, which sees him move above Cristiano Ronaldo to move up to their sixth-highest all-time goalscorer in Europe.
READ NEXT: Ranking the nine headers Marcus Rashford has scored for Man Utd
TRY A QUIZ: Can you name the Man Utd XI from Marcus Rashford’s debut in 2016?