6 stats which prove Wan-Bissaka is the best 1v1 defender in Europe
Aaron Wan-Bissaka has looked like a player reborn under Erik ten Hag at Manchester United and we couldn’t help but pick out some of his best stats following his heroics against Brighton.
The 25-year-old has often divided the opinions of both fans and pundits alike. While his defensive instincts have rarely been in doubt, his attacking output has let him down at times.
Diogo Dalot had been Ten Hag’s preferred right-back at the start of the season, but Wan-Bissaka has fought for his place in the side and has impressed since the World Cup.
The former Crystal Palace man was given the nod against Brighton in the FA Cup semi-final and he managed to keep Kaoru Mitoma at arms length throughout the game.
“I think it’s getting involved more in the higher part of the pitch, which is what the manager wants,” Wan-Bissaka told The Telegraph.
“That is what I’ve been giving him. He wants the full-back and winger to be on opposite lines, so if one is outside, the other is inside. That is what has been happening in the games on both sides of the pitch.
“It gives more options for other players. It creates space for other areas of the pitch. Now it is natural. It is what we do in training and what we practise, so we have to make it a habit to create as many options as possible.
“My aim has been to keep improving and using each game step-by-step. I’m quite happy with it. The only thing I can do when I get on the pitch is give it my all for the team and the manager.”
We have picked out x stats from this season which prove that Wan-Bissaka is the best 1v1 defender in Europe right now.
– The 25-year-old has only been dribbled past once in the Premier League this season. For context, the likes of Luke Shaw, Tyrell Malacia and Diogo Dalot have been dribbled past a combined 28 times in this campaign.
– Wan-Bissaka won all six of his ground duels against Brighton in the FA Cup semi-final, resulting in Mitoma having one of his least-productive matches.
Pure filth from Aaron Wan Bissaka 💫
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) April 23, 2023
– United have kept 11 clean sheets in the 21 matches that Wan-Bissaka has started in this season. In the league, they have kept five consecutive clean sheets with the defender starting.
– He has won 96.1% of the tackles he has attempted in the league this season. On average, he wins 1.9 tackles per game.
– United have only lost two of the 27 matches that Wan-Bissaka has featured in this season. When he has featured, the club has a win percentage of 74%.
– The likes of Mitoma, Jack Grealish, Allan Saint-Maximin, Wilfred Zaha and Gabriel Martinelli have all failed to complete a dribble against the United defender this season.