Lionel Messi was once again the scourge of Atletico Madrid on Sunday night as the Argentina superstar netted a brilliant late winner in Barcelona’s 1-0 victory at the Wanda Metropolitano.
Diego Simeone has never tasted victory as a manager against Barcelona and he has his compatriot Messi to blame.
We’ve rounded up six stats to show just how much the 32-year-old enjoys playing against Atletico Madrid.
– Following his late winner at the Wanda Metropolitano, Messi has now scored 30 goals in 35 appearances in all competitions against Atletico Madrid.
– As well as his remarkable strike rate, Messi has also provided seven assists against Atleti, meaning he has been directly involved in 37 goals in 35 appearances against the capital outfit.
– Taking into account the minutes he has spent on the pitch, Messi averages a goal every 103.5 minutes against Atletico Madrid.
Lionel Messi's 428th top-flight league goal in 461 La Liga games, for a rate of 0.928 GPG.
Cristiano Ronaldo also scored today, his 425th top-flight league goal in 555 top-flight league games, for a rate of 0.766 GPG.pic.twitter.com/NY1sCscY13
— Nick Harris (@sportingintel) December 1, 2019
– The Argentina international averages a goal or assist every 83.9 minutes against Atletico Madrid.
– In La Liga, Messi’s goals and assists have won Barcelona 25 points against Atletico.
– As noted by journalist Dermot Corrigan, Messi has been booked 10 times against Atleti, more than any other club, with the suggestion: “They go for him, and he fights back.”