The 11 stats behind Wayne Rooney’s 500 league games in English football
Manchester United legend Wayne Rooney has had an incredible career in England – and the striker has reached another impressive milestone.
Rooney made his league debut for Everton in 2002 before spending 13 years at Manchester United and rejoining his boyhood club in 2017.
After a spell in America, he is back in England with Derby County and has now made 500 appearances in the Premier League and the Championship.
– Rooney has made 393 league appearances for Manchester United, 98 for Everton and nine for Derby County.
– He is still the youngest player to make 100 Premier League appearances, playing against Manchester City at the age of 19 and 231 days in 2005.
– The 34-year-old has won 288 out of his 500 league games in England at a win rate of 57.6%. He has also drawn 107 games and lost the other lost 105.
– Rooney has scored 211 goals and provided 105 assists in those games, averaging a goal or assist every 1.5 games.
– Since making his league debut in 2002, only Billy Sharp (229) has scored more English league goals than Rooney.
Cool as you like! 👏
Wayne Rooney converts from the penalty spot on his big night!
— Sky Sports Football (@SkyFootball) February 21, 2020
– Out of Rooney’s 211 league goals, 163 were scored with his right foot, 26 with his left foot and 22 with his head.
– 180 of his goals have come from inside the box while the other 31 have come from outside the area. He has also scored 24 penalties and eight direct free-kicks.
– The striker has scored 116 league goals at home for United, Everton and Derby while 95 goals have come away from home.
– Rooney has faced 43 different teams in the league and scored against 37 of them. The only teams he hasn’t scored against are Manchester United, Derby County, Blackpool, Barnsley, Bristol City and Huddersfield.
– Newcastle United have been his favourite opponents as he scored 15 league goals against them. He also scored 14 against West Ham, 13 against Aston Villa, 12 against Arsenal and 11 against Tottenham.
On this day, in 2005: Wayne Rooney scored this goal vs Newcastle pic.twitter.com/DCSMBdRHxM
— utdreport (@utdreport) April 24, 2017
– Rooney has made more league appearances against Arsenal (29) than any other club. They are closely followed by Liverpool (27), Manchester City (27), Aston Villa (26), and Chelsea (25).