Watch: Fabrizio Romano has news on Man Utd’s Antony chase
Manchester United are set for an incredibly busy final week of the summer transfer window if Fabrizio Romano’s latest update is anything to go by.
United have already spent this summer reshaping their squad following a disastrous 2021-22 campaign where they finished a distant sixth and failed to make any impression in the Champions League.
And, despite the signings of Tyrell Malacia, Lisandro Martinez and Christian Eriksen, defeats against Brighton and Brentford intensified the desire for new signings at Old Trafford.
Casemiro has joined the club for a £60million fee and was paraded at half-time during Monday’s victory over Liverpool. But, as Romano has reported in his latest YouTube video, United are still keen on at least two signings before the window closes next week.
Ajax forward Antony is said to be United’s top target. The 23-year-old and his agent are pushing for a move to Old Trafford after United’s £67million bid was rejected last week.
Antony has skipped training and wasn’t part of Ajax’s squad against Sparta Rotterdam on Sunday, suggesting United are ready to make another move for the Brazil international.
“Many, many things are happening around Man United following Monday’s win over Liverpool,” Romano said.
“In the next few hours, let’s wait to see if it’ll be today or tomorrow, but Man United will submit an official proposal for Antony. They are preparing a new bid, the last one of €80million was turned down by Ajax.
“Now, big chance for Man United to submit a new proposal for a player who is really, really pushing. Antony has not trained with Ajax since Friday and didn’t play against Sparta Rotterdam on Sunday.
“He wants Manchester United. He’s obsessed with Premier League football and wants a Man United move because of Erik ten Hag. There’s been a full agreement on the contract since last week, personal terms are agreed so everything is ready between Antony and Manchester United.
“But now it’s time for Man Utd to reach a full agreement with Ajax. It’s a work in progress and the new deal will include add-ons but he is now the top priority.”
Romano also gave an update on United’s surprise pursuit of Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.
Ten Hag is searching for a new backup to David de Gea after Dean Henderson joined Nottingham Forest on loan, and an offer has been sent to take the Slovakia international on a season-long loan.
“Dubravka from Newcastle could be Man United’s second signing after Antony in the next few days,” the Italian journalist confirmed.
“There is a negotiation with Newcastle and an official bid submitted.
“It’s a loan with a buy option clause, which I’m told is around £5million. So United are negotiating with Newcastle for Dubravka because deals for [Yann] Sommer and [Kevin] Trapp are not easy at the moment.”
You can watch the video below.